Sweet Potato Hazelnut Bread
(gluten/dairy free, Paleo-friendly)
This bread recipe is naturally "sweet" based on how sweet your sweet potatoes are! It's very versatile. Add your favorite spices / seasonings according to your taste to make it a sweet or savory bread! Or slice it up and smear nut butter and QUOnola, or cheese and herbs as a snack or breakfast side!
Here is how!
Prep Time : 10mins | Baking Time : approx.1hr 15mins
Servings : 12 pieces
- 400g steamed & peeled sweet potato (used orange ones here)
- 4 eggs (recommend free-range)
- 50g coconut oil, melted
- 280g hazelnut meal / flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- [optional] sweet potato slices for garnish
- Preheat oven to 160°C/325°F. Line a baking tin / tray with baking paper, or grease with coconut oil.
- In a food processor, blend the steamed sweet potato, eggs, and coconut oil until smooth.
- Spoon this mixture into a large bowl and add the hazelnut meal/flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix well.
- Bake for approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes. This will depend on the type of tray you're using, because that will determine how thick your bread is. We recommend checking when it's about 1 hour.
- Take out from the oven. Leave to cool for an hour before slicing. (We usually take it out from the baking tray and leave it to cool on a cooling rack, so the bread doesn't get soggy in the bottom and the edges.
Final mixture, ready to be poured into baking tray.
Baking in the oven
Garnished with slices of baked sweet potato
*NOTE on Sweet Potato:
We prefer steaming the sweet potatoes to boiling them, because steaming makes them less "soggy" and also preserves the flavors more while keeping them moist. We steam the sweet potatoes as a whole, then peel them and blend them.
Try this out and let us know your comments! Look forward to your sharing!!