QUOlixir Nut-Free Pesto
inspired by French Pistou, which is basil sauce without nuts
Got a nut allergy, but love the smell and taste of pesto? Here's a recipe to your rescue! Traditionally, French pistou is made without cheese as well, so it really suits many of us here in Asia who are intolerant to dairy. We use QUOlixir in place of nutritional yeast, which is commonly found in many recipes. Promise you, it tastes just as flavorful!
Here is how!
Prep Time : 5 mins
Makes about 1/3 cup
- 2 cups fresh basil, loosely packed
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 TBLS QUOlixir
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- [optional] 2 TBLS pumpkin seeds
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- Prepare your basil - rinse the leaves with filtered / drinking water, and gently pat them dry. Remove the larger thicker stems, because you don't want the sauce to turn out too bitter / woody.
- Place the basil, garlic, lemon juice, QUOlixir, pumpkin seeds and half of the olive oil in the blender or food processor until smoother.
- Turn off the blender or food processor and scrape the sides as needed.
- Tun the blender on and slowly add the remaining olive oil.
- Blend until smooth.
- Add salt and black pepper to your taste. (we suggest keeping it unseasoned, because you can season it depending on what you're using the sauce for)
Use this as a dipping sauce, add it to pasta, chicken, salads, bascially ANYTHING!